Local Attractions & Places of InterestAll of the following attractions are only a short drive, bus or train journey away.
Swanage beach is found on the South West Coast Path. It is not at all uncommon for people to set out from the chain ferry that links Studland Bay to Poole and walk over the cliffs and past Old Harry Rocks to Swanage beach. From here buses run back towards Poole.
• BournemouthBournemouth offers everything from golden beaches, iconic attractions and award winning retaurants.
• Poole & Brownsea IslandVisit the largest natural harbour in Europe and explore the shops that Poole has to offer. Brownsea Island is a nature reserve owned by the National Trust which can be reached by ferry.
• Lulworth Cove & Durdle Door
• Corfe CastleBuilt by the Normans, destroyed during the civil war, Corfe Castle stands as the gateway between the Purbeck Hills. Walk around the ruins and take in the fantastic views.
• Monkey World & Bovington Tank MuseumVisit the fantastic internationally-acclaimed ape rescue centre, set in 65 acres of beautiful Dorset woodland, is home to over 230 primates - including the largest group of chimps outside Africa. Combining fun with conservation , half-hourly talks explain all about man's closest living relative. See the stars of TV's ''Monkey Life', then 'monkey around' in the south's largest play area.
Bovington Tank Museum - with almost 300 vehicles on exhibition from 26 countries it is the most wide-ranging collection of tanks and armoured vehicles in the world.
• Old Harry & Wife
Enjoy a nostalgic steam-trainride on the Purbeck line. Steam trains run most weekends throughout the year, with daily running Apr to Oct, Christmas week and Easter week. Many special events are held during the year, including train-driving lessons, see our brochure for details. The line operates from Norden (Park and Ride) 6 miles south to Swanage. The line goes through the historic village of Corfe Castle offering magnificent views ofthe historic castle ruins.
DISCOUNTS: Swanage Railway offer a discounted Railway and Corfe Castle Model Village ticket - available from Swanage or Norden Stations. Present your Swanage Railway ticket at Corfe Castle ticket office for a discount off the entrance price. Discounted Railway and Boat Trip tickets are available from Dorset Cruises and Blue Line Cruises - both departing from Poole Quay.
• Studland Bay
Both beaches draw large numbers of visitors in the summer months, Bournemouth and Poole being just a few miles away, but retain their appeal right into the depths of winter. The views presented here were taken out-of-season, during the months February-May and show just a few of the many reasons why this area is so popular all-year-round.
Other local attractions/towns include:
• Lulworth Castle
• Tyneham Deserted Village
• Athelhampton house
Visit our contact page to view a map of Wareham and navigate the local area to discover the location of the above attractions.